Saturday, June 11, 2016

Dancers Fighting Cancer - How To Do What Moves You

Dancers Fighting Cancer
How To Do What Moves You
An essay written by Noelle Andressen
copyright 2016

Volunteerism is a wonderful way to support your community and feel good about helping others. For the past seven years, I've been involved with The American Cancer Society promoting wellness, raising funds, helping others through the disease and participating in Relay For Life. I've been involved with this community fundraising event for 6 years.

My first experience was being on a relay team in Simi Valley. For those who are unfamiliar with Relay for Life, it is a 24-hour event that takes place often times on a track or field. The object: to have at least one person from your team constantly walking around the track. This is symbolic for how cancer doesn't sleep. It pursues its host 24-hour/7 relentlessly. The sun never goes down for the cancer patient, they're always experiencing the disease until it is eradicated from their body. It is difficult, it will test you past your abilities, and take you to places in your heart you never dreamed were reachable.

Subsequent years I was a Team Captain and had my own team: Dancers Fighting Cancer. Our team is usually comprised of dancers or lovers of dance. We have a lot of fun and enjoy decorating our table. We did an average job raising funds in the early years and some years we didn't do as well. Mostly, my fault  because I would get so focused on the next step in my volunteerism: Chair Person for the Luminaria Ceremony.

At the relay there are sub events within happening during the course of the 24 hours. One of those events is the Luminaria Ceremony. During this ceremony, my team that's supported by my dance company: Rubans Rouges Dance, produces an hour long program (some years it has been shorter to suit the needs of the relay) to honor the memory of those who lost their lives and to celebrate the lives of those who survived their battle. This is where I really know how to shine and do my best with the gifts given to me.
My team and I, utilize the arts that we all have (every year it's different) and present a heart touching presentation. This year I read from my cancer clinic journal for the second time. It was not as heart-wrenching as the first time, but not by much. The first time I did it was a completely different experience. To prepare I had skimmed through my journal vaguely remembering where certain highlights were and briefly reading it. I didn't want my reading from it to be stale for the actual presentation. I used sticky notes to flag parts that I knew were important to share. This was an extremely challenging thing for me to do.

Often I get asked how do I do what you do? I always say, "Don't do another version of me, be you." Then I give them some tips of how to go about finding their place in the world. 

3 Things To Get Moving
Remember: I.R.I.

1.     Interests - What are some things you like to do? Make a list of these things and put them in numerical order of importance or those of greater appeal to you.

2.     Research - Take a look at your list. Choose the top three. Find out more about that subject matter. For me it was cancer. I found that there were oodles of fundraising events, clinics, hospitals, etc. that welcomed and needed volunteers.

3. Involvement - After the research is done, carefully decide what will work with your schedule, personality, and commitment capability. Never over extend yourself or let anything interfere with your family time, significant other, or other important prior goals. Some people have more time than others, some are retired and volunteerism is their new “job”. This is great and works for them, make sure you consider and do the same.

I shared all of this to show you that it is important to do what moves you. It needs to be something that you feel strongly about. Being a cancer survivor, I knew I was called to do something to encourage others. Now go do what moves you.

For more articles, essays and editorials that concern the arts and the business world, please do consider signing up for our emails HERE

Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Instagram
Follow us on Pinterest
Follow us on Facebook
Watch our videos on YouTube


Noelle Andressen is an Emmy nominated writer, producer and music arranger. She has authored the 5 book series: "Dance Warrior" Book Series. The first book is set to be released very soon. She is also a dancer-choreographer that has had the privilege of being photographed by legendary dance photographer Lois Greenfield (photo release 2016). She's known for her many works on camera as an actress and behind the lens as a story-teller with her screenplays. She took this skill and applied it to her dance company: Rubans Rouges Dance and creates thought provoking "Dance Drama" that beckons you to "Feel the Experience" (TM/slogan mark).

No comments:

Post a Comment